Monday, June 28, 2010

Flock of Seagulls

I am a bird lover and the birds must know it.  I recently had the run in with the crow...

Not one of my most glamorous moments, but one that I will always remember.  (I did an entry about this a few days ago.)  

Then, we had a huge victory with our finch feeder.  The birds continue to show up and my youngest informs me every time he sees them...


And today we were visited by a flock of seagulls.  Not a seagull, but a flock of them.  The kids were playing out front after they had lunch.  The birds showed up looking for some food and were willing to stick around for a photo op.  No autographs, but plenty of photos...
                    pan to the left...
     I promise it isn't  photo shopped.
 Out came the bread...
and they came in for a landing...
when the food was gone...so were the birds...leaving behind 7 of their biggest fans...

We don't live near the ocean.  In fact, we live in a land locked state.  However, we do have a huge lake near by that these birds call home.  The kids and I had a wonderful time watching them close up.  They have proven to be very smart birds though.  As we sat down to eat dinner on our back porch, one lone seagull began to circle overhead and landed on the roof right above out heads.  Then another bird began to make swooping circles...and then another...and before long we had five or six birds sitting on the roofs edge watching us eat our dinner.  Every so often, a couple of them would fly off, circle around and then swoop as close to the table as it would dare.  Thankfully, they are a bit afraid of us and this seemed to keep them from taking our food.  I have seen very brave seagulls steal food right off of people's plates.  Hopefully, they will continue to keep their distance and maybe even move on.  They seem to visit our yard every week or two anyways in search of food.  It was a fun experience, but I'm hoping they don't become any bolder in their search for food.

No comments:

Post a Comment