Friday, February 3, 2012

Pink Toilets and Broken Bones

"Life is pain, princess; anyone who says differently is selling something."  
                                                                                      The Princess Bride


I find myself yet again embarking on a post a month after my last one and amazed at how much can transpire in those 30 some odd days.


The Lord calls us to take up our cross daily and to follow after him and this is what I endeavor to do each day even though these past weeks have been filled with much pain and way too much couch time.  Despite my being stuck on the couch, Jesus is faithful and continues to be present and to grow me.


After finding out in December that I broke my foot in July, I began the slow process of trying to encourage my body to heal.  I have an assortment of crutches and braces and a mighty numb bum.  For over a month I stayed off my feet and my bone would not heal.  So, my doctor decided to do a last ditch procedure to try and keep me from having to have surgery.  Using my blood, be created a blood clot around my injured bone and tendon, hoping to spark a healing response from my body.  The procedure was not pain free and the first day left me very thankful for pain medication.  Then, irony struck and I spent the second day overcoming an allergic reaction to the medication.  At the same time, I was battling the flu.  Crutches and the flu do not work well together.  Thankfully, I had no foot pain by this point...unless I moved my foot the wrong way.  I still have several weeks of recovery ahead of me, but I am beginning to let myself hope that the procedure worked.  The doctor says my carefree barefoot days are over, but we are both hoping and I am praying that I will be able to walk normally again really soon without fear of pain or re-injury. 


My dear husband decided to begin our bathroom remodel in a very interesting way.  He woke me early on a Saturday morning several weeks ago to let me know that he had somehow managed to FLUSH our daughter's SEIZURE MEDICATION down the toilet.  The bottle was small enough to be flushed, but too big to exit the toilet.  No amount of reaching could retrieve the bottle and our only option was to remove the toilet in order to eliminate the clog...a mighty expensive clog.  Thankfully, we had friends that came to our rescue and not only came to remove the toilet, but brought up a new one to replace our really old pink one.  I am quite pleased to say that the clog has been removed and I love my new white toilet.


The children have been wonderful during this time of sitting, but all of us are looking forward to Mommy getting back into the swing of things.  School is much slower and we tend to get bored of sitting in the house.  Thankfully, the weather has been agreeable and they are able to play outside every day without freezing.  I am bummed about the lack of snow, but there are several more weeks of winter left.


I have several projects waiting to be finished and am looking forward to finishing a quilt I am making for my mother-in-laws 80th birthday at the end of this month.  I am giving my foot a few more days to heal before I tackle running the sewing machine.  I had thought I would get all of my projects finished over this last month, but alas, my plans were far too lofty.  However, I take comfort in knowing that I am making progress.  Dear Hubby was wonderful this last weekend and we took advantage of a local fabric store having a great sale.  I think I came home with 8 yards of fabric and paid less than 50% for it.  It was an awesome deal and I look forward to coming up with ways to use the fabric in quilts.

When faced with the mundane of my days of sitting on the couch, I have had many hours to read and stumbled upon a quote from one of my favorite characters:  Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables. 

Mrs. Cadbury:  Tell me what you know about yourself.
Anne:  Well, it really isn't worth telling, Mrs. Cadbury...but if you let me tell you what I imagine about myself you'd find it a lot more interesting.

Oh, how I love Anne and her dreamy, whimsical, romantic ways.  They call upon the child within me and I can't help but smile as I recall the innocence of youth and how I know Anne and I could have been bosom friends and would have had such grand times day dreaming.  I hope my retelling of my life hasn't caused you to stifle a yawn.  I'll keep working on more frequent and spicier posts.


Until next time, Be Blessed.

1 comment:

  1. You my friend are very SPICY! I love you and am so grateful for your friendship. I too would have enjoyed a bosom friendship with Anne Shirley; we would have gotten in a lot of the trouble, the three of us :) Praying for you! DRIA

    ReplyDelete